Saturday, July 12, 2008

What to do on a lazy Saturday

I have a completely free day today. My husband is away and I have no jobs that need to be done. Normally I would go shopping. Shopping would fill the void of nothing to do and no one to do it with. I would wander aimlessly through I giant shopping centre. I woudl look at clothes- though I have plenty in my wardrobe I don't wear. I would look at books - though I have plenty on my bookshelf I haven't read. I would look at jewellery, make-up and homewares, trying to find something I need so that I can buy it and feel happy.

So instead I spent the morning doing housework. Not the weekly chores like vacuuming, cleaning th ekitchen and washing clothes but extra housework like cleaning out the spare room and sweeping the backyard. Then I went for a walk with my dog and we sat in the park and she ran and played and I read Affluenza by Clive Hamilton & Richard Denniss. I will be reviewing it when I'm finished but so far it is making me hate advertising and cringe at the thought of shopping, so I guess it is doing me the world of good.

I do have to do some shopping this afternoon as I want to make a roast dinner for my hubby tonight (he has been away for two weeks) and I need some vegetables. But I will be writing a list before I go and will only buy what is on the list. And on the way I will be dropping 3 big bags of stuff into the charity bin. So I'm feeling pretty good about my de-cluttering.

No comments: